Monday, August 30, 2010

Personal Voice and American 'Dialect'

I am in the midst of an online discussion with some writer friends about local American dialects of the English language. It's surprising that the country can communicate at all.


Personally, I enjoy visiting with the locals when I'm traveling simply to catch the quaint phrases of the area. I enjoy reading novels set in small communities where the local flavor is expressed through dialog. So, I have a question as a freelance writer:


Are we missing the boat by trying to follow established grammar rules when writing our blogs?


We're told to find our own voice when writing to give our work more power. Wouldn't cha think that meant writing the way we talk? Wouldn't that give our work a bit of character, maybe some more interest, don't cha know? Well, maybe it wouldn't be such a great idea to be as obvious as that, but really. A blog and an informative article used for reference are two different things.


I follow blogs because I like the content of the blog. Some of the blogs I follow are written by bloggers who have a wealth of experience and are sharing valuable, personal tips. I value their articles, and think I would trust them no matter how 'real' their way of expressing themselves on their blogs appeared.


Other blogs are written as mini informative web sites. I know the difference. I follow them, after all.


So, bloggers and wanna be bloggers? What's your take on the whole thing?




All written content 2010 Patrice Campbell unless otherwise noted.

3 comments:

Suz Alicie said...

I tend to slip into converstional grammar whenever I am working on my blogs, that is just because I feel that a blog is much more personal than an article. Some of my blogs are down right way too personal and others are infused with just a touch of personality. I think that readers enjoy the personality of blogs which is why so many follow them.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. I think that blogging is intended to be more personal, and for that reason, it should take a more conversational tone. If that means incorporating some aspects of local dialect or slang to give it additional flavor, then so be it. I try to write blog posts in first person whenever possible, but I also include many informative posts on subjects that I am knowledgeable about on my blogs as well. For those, I typically write in third person because it gives them additional authority. I believe that grammar rules are meant to be broken. When I am working for contributor sites or for clients, I give them what they ask for and expect, but for my personal blogs and personal websites, using first person, conversational dialog enables you to connect more with your readers. It also allows me to vent at times about something that is particularly troubling, and can serve as a tremendous release.

tanzi42 said...

I agree and think blogging should be written in a manner of the way you, the writer talks to bring character into the story. I love reading a blog that gives me a hint about the writers personal character, makes the blog feel more real.