Thursday, September 30, 2010

Are Libraries Ruined?

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old person, but I miss my old library.


The library has always been one of my favorite places. I love the quiet, the smell of old books, seeing children explore new worlds with boundaries set only by their reading levels.


Visiting the library has changed over the years. Instead of using the card catalog, we can look for information on the computers available, if we wait in line for the teenagers to access the email accounts their parents have forbidden on the home computer. Most libraries have free wireless internet access so that their patrons are not denied the wonders of the world wide web even if their budget does not allow for the added expense.


My local library offers even more. It has a used book store, a coffee shop, and patio tables with umbrellas set up outside for users.


So what in the world is there for me to complain about? All these wonderful service additions have changed the way people use the local library that it's hard for us old timers to adjust and be productive.


Is the Library a Place to Conduct Business? 




photo used with permission under morgueFile Free License

All written content ©2010 Patrice Campbell unless otherwise noted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site thefrustratedfreelancer.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Patrice Campbell said...

That's great. But you signed in as Anonymous. What is your link?